Science classes aim to provide students with a solid foundation in science knowledge, understanding, skills and values on which further learning and adult life can be built. Students should be able to engage in communication of and about science, value evidence and scepticism, and question scientific claims made by others. Science is a human endeavour that students should learn to appreciate and apply to daily life.
Duration Whole year
The year 10 science course has been designed to allow students to become informed about the applications of science and technology in everyday life as well as to prepare them for future studies in the science disciplines. Fundamental science concepts continue to be developed along with analytical thinking and data processing skills within the context of science in society. All students study 4 core units and select 2 optional units.
Through learning science students will:
- acquire scientific skills and conceptual knowledge
- acquire and use the skills of scientific investigation, reasoning and analysis to ask questions and seek solutions
- develop scientific attributes such as flexibility, curiosity, critical reflection, respect for evidence and ethical considerations
- recognise and understand the strengths and limitations of science
- be able to interpret and communicate scientific ideas effectively
- appreciate the dynamic role of science in social and technological change.
Students are encouraged to enter a wide range of competitions ranging from the Science Talent Search to the Australian Science Schools Competition. Students at Kingswood College are encouraged to enter a wide range of scholarships and/or competitions offered by various scientific organisations and companies.
Areas of Study
Genetics and DNA
The Periodic Table
Fossils and Evolution
Students are required to complete a wide range of assessment tasks throughout the course to give an indication of student performance. These include:
- Topic tests
- Practical reports
- Research assignments
- Construction tasks
- Use of technology