Where potential soars

History

  • Kingswood College traces its history back to New College, which opened its doors on 4 February 1890.  
  • New College was established as a boys' school for day students and boarders in Rose Street Box Hill, and the school moved to its existing location in Piedmont Street in 1929.  
  • The College Council entered negotiations with the Methodist Church in June 1928, and the Church eventually bought Gwynton Park in 1929 for the School.
  • The school became co-educational in 1933 and this practice was unheard of at that time in mainstream church schools in Victoria, if not Australia.
  • The school was renamed Kingswood College in 1965. 
  • The Junior School was opened in 1971.
  • A separate building for Senior Students was opened in 1975.  
  • The Methodist Church was absorbed by the Uniting Church in June 1977 and took over the running of the College.
  • In the 1990s the Early Learning Centre was opened for three and four year-old children.
  • A new Middle School centre was opened in 2002.
  • In December 2008 a new Multimedia Centre was opened.
  • The Annette Bennet Science Centre, a world-class purpose-built facility was opened in March 2009.
  • In 2011 a state-of-the-art Hospitality Trade Training Centre, complete with commercial kitchen and dining facilities, was opened.
  • In 2013 Kingswood College announced the launch of the Learning And Teaching Through Innovation, Collaboration and Engagement (LATTICE) framework for implementation in 2014.
  • In 2015 Kingswood College celebrated 125 years of education with a series of community engagement events.